Here’s a confession.
I didn’t think this would work. 6-minute microwave caramels? Yeah, right. Way too good to be true.
My skepticism comes from a deep-rooted resentment of caramel. Growing up, I swear I would burn myself on caramel apples EVERY fall. Two weeks ago, I tried to make some myself, and it was a disaster. But in case you were wondering, crystallized sugar smudge tastes pretty good, actually. But back to the topic at hand – this did actually work. That doesn’t mean the caramels turned out perfect. I mean, would this be Snack Attack if they had? They’re definitely not as solid or brown as they should be, but they taste good. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a million times – ugly stuff tastes good.
Here’s what you’ll need (and this week, it’s ALL bad for you. Go cholesterol!!)
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
You’ll also need:
- Microwaveable bowl
- Glass dish
- Measuring spoon
- Stirring spoon (I know, I know, I forgot to photograph half of this stuff.)
- Oh – and a microwave.
Here’s how the magic happens.
- Measure and combine all ingredients.
- Microwave for six minutes, taking the mixture out of the microwave every two minutes to stir.
- After six minutes, stir again and poor into a dish. You can either grease it or use parchment paper. My assistant (who shall remain unnamed) wasn’t an expert with parchment paper, so we ended up with this masterpiece. Oops.
- Let cool until solid, then eat up. You can also sprinkle the top with sea salt for extra deliciousness.
- The linked recipe recommends to cut the caramel up and wrap it in wax paper, then store in an air-tight container. But did I do that? Uh, no. That would imply actually being able to cut it.
Photos below, because, you know, WordPress blog formatting HATES ME. Special note for my professor: I tried, Inman. I really tried.
Back to our regularly scheduled programming: this snack is delicious, fast, cheap and easy. The true stuff of Snack Attack. If you feel fall cravings coming on, I would recommend this. Although I did manage to burn myself on this stuff, too. Is nothing safe?